For all businesses operating within the UK, it is the responsibility of the employer to maintain their employees’ health and safety at work which also includes fire safety. Employers have moral, legal and financial obligations for maintaining good fire safety standards.
The occupier of buildings owes a common duty of care to all visitors to those premises. Within a business or organisation (where there are 5 or more employees or if a license or alterations notice are in force), the employer must dedicate a Responsible Person to ensure that adequate and sufficient fire safety arrangements are in place. Within the organisation, competent persons should be trained appropriately thus being able to provide sufficient information, instruction and knowledge to all employees and other persons on the premises.
- Reduce injuries, pain and suffering of employees
- Promoting a positive fire safety culture to assist morale improvement
- Contribute to the reduction of fire-related injuries, fatalities and environmental damage
- To comply with legal requirements
- Avoid penalties and prosecution or the issue of enforcement notices
- Avoid compensation claims resulting from injuries suffered by employees
- Costs associated with the investigation of a fire
- Costs of repairing or replacing damage to buildings and plant
- Costs arising from damage to the environment
Fire extinguishers are a vital part of fire safety for any business or organisation. Fire extinguishers are, by law, required to be serviced and maintained every 12 months and discharged every 5 years with the exception of CO2 extinguishers which are every 10 years.
Gallowglass Fire Safety have dedicated and trained fire extinguisher maintenance and servicing engineers.
Our engineers will be able to provide the following consultation:
- Which fire extinguishers are appropriate for your premises
- Appropriate siting of fire extinguishers within your premises
- How many fire extinguishers are required to ensure your premises are adequately protected.
As imposed by the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (RRFSO), extensive duties are set out for the responsible person. In order for these duties to be sufficiently carried out, a comprehensive fire safety management system must be in place.
The duties of the responsible person are as follows:
- Carry out a fire risk assessment on the occupied premises of that business
- Take general fire safety precautions to ensure that the premises are safe
- Appoint one or more competent person to assist in the implementation of appropriate preventative and protective measures
- Implement appropriate arrangements
- Apply adequate principles of prevention
Provide the employer, employees and other relevant persons working on the premises with information on fire safety, the preventative and protective measures and emergency procedures;
- Ensure that the premises and its facilities and equipment are maintained in relation to fire safety
- Eliminate or reduce risks from dangerous substances
- Ensure that appropriate equipment for detecting fire, raising the alarm and fighting fire is provided and maintained
- Ensure that emergency routes and exits are maintained and provided
- Ensure employees are provided with adequate fire safety training
Gallowglass Health & Safety can offer advice and guidance in the implementation of a robust fire safety management system. Why not give us a call today and we can advise you on the best way we can help your organisation.
Gallowglass Fire Safety has over 400 extinguishers available to hire for all different types of events ranging from large outdoor festivals to small corporate conferences. Our extinguishers are maintained in excellent condition and are available for short term hires or long term rentals.
Our hire services include;
- Water, Foam, CO2, and Powder, extinguishers
- Fire blankets, stands, alarms and other accessories.
- Collection and delivery service.
- Free specifying service from your site layout plans.
- Nationwide coverage.
Fire safety information should be provided for employees and all other persons on the premises, so that they know what to do if there is a fire and how to safely evacuate the premises.
As per the RRFSO 2005, competent persons, such as Fire Wardens/ Marshals, who have received sufficient and appropriate training, knowledge and experience are required to assist in carrying out the preventative and protective measures that are in place.
Gallowglass Fire Safety will be able to provide appropriate and comprehensive Fire Warden/ Marshal training so that they will be able to carry out their roles and responsibilities in relation to a fire evacuation.
On completion of our course, your staff will have covered the following areas;
- What to do on discovering a fire
- How to raise the alarm
- What to do upon hearing the alarm
- How to alert and help members or the public, visitors and/ or disabled persons leave the premises safely
- Arrangements for calling the fire and rescue service
- Check designated areas to ensure everyone has left the premises
- Location and correct use of fire-fighting equipment
- Location of escape routes
- How to open emergency exit doors
- Importance of keeping fire exit doors closed
- Why lifts should not be used
- The risk from, and safe use of, highly flammable substances
- The importance of general fire safety which includes good housekeeping
- Liaising with fire and rescue service
- Shutting down vital and dangerous equipment
- Performing a supervisory / managing role in any fire situation
- The correct use of fire equipment
Gallowglass Health & Safety offer bespoke fire training courses tailored to the needs of your organisation for the following courses:
- Bespoke Fire Awareness Training
- Bespoke Fire Marshall Training
- CIEH level 1 Fire Safety Awareness
"Just wanted to say thank you so much for working with us on this project.Eloise Mercier - Design Scene
It all went as smooth as can be and everyone was really happy."
"Just wanted to add my HUGE HUGE HUGE thanks for the unbelievable effort on this project.Dominic Thomas-Smith – Smyle
It certainly was a mad one…demanding, hardcore, really full on, but you NAILED IT from start to finish in very challenging circumstances."
"Thank you for all of your help during the conference.Cheryl Benton - Coca Cola European Partners
It’s not often that we do these large scale events where we would need your expertise but we will definitely be in touch if that changes. Your knowledge is invaluable"
I just wanted to say a huge thank you for all your assistance with the event both pre event and onsite.Natasha Ient - MOI Global
You made the H&S process so much easier for us and it was great to work with someone who was so proactive in finding a solution.
You were a true part of the MOI team onsite and we all hope we get the opportunity to work with you again.